Wednesday, June 15, 2011

More News from U of D Volunteers





Today, after two hours of hacking down weeds, I went with two other boys to the nursery in El Ocotillo. The kids in the nursery were happier than ever to see us walk through the door.

Through all the smiling faces I saw a small female baby, sitting on the floor. Not wanting her to get trampled, I rushed over and picked her up. The baby didn't smile but she wrapped her arms tiny arms around me as is if she was in danger. I spent about an hour walking around with the baby in my arms trying to entertain the other kids at the same time. The baby didn't smile once but she didn’t cry either. I sat down with the baby and I looked into her eyes. I tried to make a funny face but she still didn’t smile.

As I continued to look into her eyes I saw the future of El Ocotillo. She was born into a life that will struggle to offer her any opportunities to succeed. Through our labors, we can provide hope for the city and the people who live here.

Blog post by Colin Means, Junior at U of D Jesuit (class of 2013) currently serving in Honduras.

Today was our first day of actual service here in Honduras and even though it was difficult, I found it to be an ultimately rewarding experience. Specifically, my experience in the local nursery was truly profound.

As I played with the children, I became aware of my fortune and their lack thereof. They begged me to take pictures of them and lift them into the air and were happy with just that. They had very few toys, most of which were broken and ragged. Yet they were happier than I have ever been just because someone was there to play with them. It was at that moment that I understood how much I have in comparison.

I have been so blessed to live in a home with people who love me and have provided me with everything I have ever needed or wanted. I complain daily about things that now seem petty and stupid. I think that we can all learn something from these young boys and girls who have so little, yet their spirits are high and their happiness is uplifting.

This post was submitted by Hank Greening, a senior (class of 2012) at U of D Jesuit, also serving in Honduras.

No comments:

Post a Comment